ntpclient names

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Feb 21 22:20:53 UTC 2017

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 17:13:54 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> > We need to figure out how to handle ntpviz and friends.  I think it
> > should NOT be part of the standard install set.  At a minimum,
> > there should be an easy way to skip it during install.
>
> I've forgotten.  What's the actual problem with including ntpviz in
> the standard install?

I think Hal objected to installing gnuplot, which does pull in a number
of packages.  ntpviz does not require gnuplot to run, or even to
install, just a pain to use w/o it.

gnuplot is a huge 1.4 MB, but it can pull in a lot of other packages
(X, qt4, etc.) if you are not careful.

I have no objection to having ntpviz be an install option, most people
will never use it.  But seems silly for just 1.4MB.  And a lot of more
important waf stuff to fix first.