current HEAD is broken on old gcc (and warnings on current clang)

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Feb 13 21:36:32 UTC 2017

Yo Fred!

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 13:26:31 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <fw at fwright.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2017, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 13:02:49 -0800 (PST)
> > Fred Wright <fw at fwright.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I suggest reverting 287a00b9a until a more judicious way to apply
> > > the appropriate options can be worked out.
> >
> > Sorry, can't do that.  Can only move forward, not back.
>
> I contend that any properly conditional means of adding those flags
> will look completely different from 287a00b9a, so the change as it
> stands has no value (not to mention negative value on some
> platforms).  I've already locally reverted it just to get something
> that isn't broken.

Feel free to do what you will in your private branch.  Better yet, just
wait a day.

> > > Note that one can always get
> > > the same effect temporarily for testing just by specifying
> > > CFLAGS/LDFLAGS on the command line.
> >
> > Except doing that with buildbot is a PITA.
>
> Don't the buildbots have a way to specify environment variables?
> Travis certainly does.
>
> It would also be useful to have the buildbots feed from a testing
> branch, so that the master branch doesn't get used as a testing
> sandbox (e.g., 016eda025/4ca79909a).

I inherited a pretty cranky buildbot structure.  In theory what you
say is true, in practice it is a PTIA.  And a pointless PITA to
customize buildbot for each worker since that is the purpose of waf.