FWD: Go API for monotonitc elapsed time measurements

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Feb 4 02:18:59 UTC 2017

[From the leapseconds list - good background on timekeeping in go]

This is an interesting proposal for fixing the Cloudflare leap second bug,
so that time interval calculations do sensible things even when the clock
is reset, without making an incompatible change to the existing APIs.

https://github.com/golang/proposal/blob/master/design/12914-monotonic.md

The existence of this discussion raises an interesting point.  Before we
switch to any other language/environment, we should make an inventory of our
existing POSIX calls and see if they are supported.  We should probably round
that up to include OS specific calls too.