[Git][NTPsec/ntpsec][master] Tweak INSTALL to mention when prefix+destdir work

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Dec 21 00:33:31 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 15:46:59 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > You just pushed a doc change I do not entirely agree with, and is
> > insufficiently informative of the issues.
>
> > +NB: --destdir works at install time, --prefix works at configure
> > time.
>
> OK. Poor choice of words.  Got a better suggestion?

Sorry, no better suggestion right now.  Clearly it is not working as
anyone expects.  We gotta decide what we want it to do, make it actually
do that, and document it.  Or maybe document it, then make it work the
way we documented.

For now, the key concept is that --prefix only has effect (works) at
install time.  People keep suggesting the resulting installed stuff is
different for a different --prefix.  That is not the case and needs to
be explicitly mentioned in the doc.

> If you specify a prefix at install time, it is ignored, the one
> specified at configure time is used.

Yup, just confirmed that.