Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Dec 20 23:09:46 UTC 2017

> --prefix and DESTDIR, are ONLY used to decide where to install.  And as the
> above shows, how they work together not exactly obvious.

Given the length of this discussion, we should probably figure this out.

INSTALL says:

There is a separate `--destdir' option that changes the root of the
entire installation hierarchy, prepending all paths.  It defaults to `/'.
You might, say, use --destdir=/tmp/ntp for a test install to see what
the installation paths look like without running as root or touching
system directories.

That matches my expectations and minimal observations.  One obvious use would be to install to destdir, then tar up everything.  After moving the tar file to another system, cd to / and untar to get a normal install.