Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Dec 20 22:47:47 UTC 2017

Yo Matthew!

I think I'm starting to realize part of the confusion here.

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 23:32:31 -0500
Matthew Selsky via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 08:23:08PM -0800, Gary E. Miller via devel
> wrote:
>
> > Also, remember that we have the contraint where the user may have
> > all four of these installed:
> >
> > /usr, /usr/lib, ~user, gitclone.  If you have a .pth, then you can
> > no longer use waf to run regression tests on the gitclone dir.  The
> > distro ntpd, the local installed ntpd, the user installed ntpd, and
> > the waf test copy of ntpd, will ALL be forced to use the one and
> > same modules pointed at by the .pth file.
>
> We have different paths embedded in the binaries that we run the
> regression tests against.

That statement is 100% false.

The falsity can be readily verified.  Follow along as I do so:

I start in this directory:

/usr/local/src/NTP/ntpsec

Here is a build recipe:

./waf clean

export DESTDIR=/usr/local/
./waf configure --refclock=all --prefix=BATSHIT && ./waf build  &&./waf install

Taht does a build to here:

/usr/local/u1/local/src/NTP/ntpsec/BATSHIT/sbin/ntpd

Looking in there, no BATSHIT:

# fgrep BATSHIT /u1/local/u1/local/src/NTP/ntpsec/BATSHIT -r
#

Oddly, the install SAYS it installed everything, but only modeuls got
installed on my system.

The modules installed here (not exactly sure why, problem for another day):

/usr/local/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/

When  I look, no BATSHIT:

# fgrep BATSHIT /usr/local/usr/ -r
#

So, 100% proven, --prefix does NOT go into ANTYHING that gets installed.

--prefix and DESTDIR, are ONLY used to decide where to install.  And as
the above shows, how they work together not exactly obvious.