Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Wed Dec 20 04:32:31 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 08:23:08PM -0800, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:

> Also, remember that we have the contraint where the user may have all four
> of these installed:
>
> /usr, /usr/lib, ~user, gitclone.  If you have a .pth, then you can no
> longer use waf to run regression tests on the gitclone dir.  The
> distro ntpd, the local installed ntpd, the user installed ntpd, and the
> waf test copy of ntpd, will ALL be forced to use the one and same
> modules pointed at by the .pth file.

We have different paths embedded in the binaries that we run the regression tests against.  autoconf has tricks that it does with LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that "make check" uses the libraries in the build area.  waf likely has a similar feature that we can take advantage of.

> H has problems if the user moves the binaries.  An important case of
> the binaries being moved is distro packagers installing to one place,
> then scopping up the bianries into a package that gets installed
> elsewhere.

Distro packagers do not have a problem here since the prefix path will be used, not the destdir path.

Cheers,
-Matt