Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Wed Dec 20 10:14:46 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> I'm confused.  To me, if you use --prefix, or DESTDIR, then you are
> explicitly NOT doing a system install.  A system install MUST go
> in /usr, per the FHS, and your DESTDIR is preventing that.  So now
> you are a #3.

Nonsense.  First off, the only distinction between system and user
install is where the installation is actually _configured_ to go.  This
is what the build process has to use adapt any path components if it
needs them.  Whether I have to use prefix to make it go where I want or
the default is already set up correctly is immaterial to the build.
Second, DESTDIR moving the actual place of installation doesn't change a
single thing.  Its only purpose is to allow the installation of a
sytsem-configured build without clobbering files on the build system,
but once packaged you couldn't care less what DESTDIR was set to (in
fact it's considered a bug in the build system or packager if the
DESTDIR or build paths leak out into the package).

> Uh, I think you just described it above, with DESTDIR.

No, you're claiming Humpty-Dumpty privileges.

Again, the point of DESTDIR is to capture the installation on one
system, package it up into an archive and then plant it where it was
originally supposed to be installed on another system.  You can't use
DESTDIR to install a working copy of your application someplace else
than what was configured, at least not if that installation has any
dependencies on absolute paths.  If you want to run anything out of
/home/whatever/, then you should configure it with that prefix.

Regards,
Achim.