Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Dec 19 23:42:38 UTC 2017

Yo Richard!

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 17:26:53 -0600
Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/2017 02:38 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > #1 `./waf configure --prefix=/usr` is a system install.
>
> > #3 `./waf configure --prefix=/home/...` is a user install.
>
> >> Package builds are:
> >>   ./waf configure --prefix=/usr
> >>   ./waf install --destdir=some_tmp_path
> > Yup, that is a #3.
> At the top of the email, `./waf configure --prefix=/usr` is #1.
> At the end of the email, `./waf configure --prefix=/usr` is #3.

Uh, not quite, there was a difference.

> If you are saying that adding a --destdir at install time changes it
> from a #1 to a #3, I follow you, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

Seems clear to me, #1 means installed in /usr.  #3 means installed
in not /usr and not /usr/local.  The whole point is where things get
installed.  FHS says we do not ever install in /usr/ (only distros may),
we need to respect that.  By using DESTDIR you prevent that, So very
different cases.