Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Dec 19 06:26:18 UTC 2017

On 12/18/2017 08:40 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 10:18:57 +0100
> Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>> 1. System-wide, distribution-blessed installation (aka packaging).
>> 2. System-wide, local installation.
>> 3. User installation.
>
> Whoa!  Hold up right there.  waf has absolutely nothing to do with
> #1 above in any binary distro.  To prepare a package for a binary distro
> the maintainer actually does a #3, then puts the binaries, man pages,
> config files, etc. into a distro spacific package file.

I disagree somewhat. I see #3 as having a --prefix under $HOME. A distro
package is going to set --prefix=/usr at configure time, but override
the install-time path using `./waf install --destdir`.

>> I don't see user installations as a real thing for ntpd, but the user
>> space control and monitoring tool tools might be a different story.

In practice, I'd agree with this. It's unlikely that someone is
installing ntpd to $HOME.

> We need it because when the maintainer builds a binary package he
> first does a #3 (local install.
I disagree, as per above.

--
Richard