Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Dec 19 03:32:27 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 19:12:58 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary said:
> > PYTHONPATH, sys.path, or site.addsitedir(), the same options we
> > keep dancing around.
>
> They generally add things to the search path.  I want to remove
> things.

Just add the local location to the front of the PYTHONPATH.  That is
what I do.

Also, many other options in PEP 370:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/

You can not remove the system Python dirs, you need them for all the
standard python modules that NTPsec includes, like io, sys, argparse...

> I'm trying to avoid using the system or local libraries to make sure
> I'm testing the new libraries that I want to test.

Yup.

> Can I write a small wrapper that will patch sys.path and then call
> the code I want to run?

Dunno.  Outside of my experience, we are all a bit lost here...

Also, I found a lot of people talking about PYTHONPATH and sys.path
say to ignore all that and use virtualenv:

    http://www.virtualenv.org/