Do Python libraries need a ersion number?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Dec 15 08:22:13 UTC 2017

Suppose a distro packages our stuff and it gets installed on a system.  Python executables go into /usr/bin/ and libraries go into /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ntp/

So far so good.

Now what happens if a developer does a site install.  (Is that the right term?)

Libraries get installed in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ntp/ and a .pth file gets setup to access them.  The new libraries will get used by the system-installed executables.

Should we be using "ntp-1.0" rather than "ntp"?

---------

There is another possibility.  We could patch the executables at install time to fixup sys.path to look where we install the libraries.