Type for uptime in seconds

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Dec 12 21:15:39 UTC 2017

Context is Issue #424

It's simple to change the counters to 64 bits.  But a few of the relevant
variables are uptime in seconds.  Is there a good type to use for them?
time_t is misleading.  current_time is seconds since ntpd was started not
seconds since 1970.

unsigned long current_time;            /* seconds since startup */

It gets initialized to 0 and bumped every second by a timer signal handler.

32 bits is enough.  (I'm not going to worry about systems being up more than
138 years.)  I'd be happy to use a 64 bit type if that makes things cleaner.
I don't think we have to worry about conversion from 64 bit time_t.