Python libs on Debian/Raspbian

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Dec 9 17:56:53 UTC 2017

On 12/09/2017 03:18 AM, Achim Gratz via devel wrote:
> There are at least three different way of installing _anything_ (let's
> leave the details of Python and the various distro conventions aside for
> the moment):
>
> 1. System-wide, distribution-blessed installation (aka packaging).
> 2. System-wide, local installation.
> 3. User installation.

Agreed. And traditionally (forget Python for a second), these are:
1. /usr
2. /usr/local
3. Somewhere under ~, with ~/.local being the standard in recent years.

> If ntpsec wouldn't use something as
> obscure as waf for doing the build & installation the distro tool chain
> would most likely do the right thing out of the box

While I agree that waf is obscure (and accordingly wish ntpsec used
something else), it seems to do the right thing out of the box. The
problem is that waf's default behavior has been overridden in any
attempt to work-around Python not including /usr/local in sys.path.

--
Richard