Old cruft

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Dec 9 04:04:32 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 19:35:58 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > So, forgive my tardiness, can you explain local.pth a bit?
> It's magic from Richard.  It's a file that adds stuff to Python's
> search path.   I don't know details.

Well then, we need Richard involved.

> It works on Fedora.

We have different definitions of 'works'.

> Grep your email.  If that doesn't work, I'll find a Message-ID or
> link to the archived copy.

Oh, I've got the email's in my INBOX, clearly ID'ed.  My problem is
the two of us are generating new email on the topic faster than I can
catch up my backed up INBOX.  The grunge I'm recovering from has my
INBOX behind almost 300 emails, a bunch from just this thread.

And when I do get to look at the old ones, basic details that I'm looking
for are not readily found by me.

> Also look for python-config.patch

Uh, look where?  I just pulled git head.  I see nothing like that.  I do
see a lot broken in the last few months, but not that.

> It's Richard's suggestion to clean up the install logic.

Well, I've got at least five distinct, and incompatible, wants.  Depending
on who is installing from where.  Does this patchconform to all the
incompatible use cases?

> I think it
> makes it do what you want.  It's what I've been testing with.

I just want to conform to what distros, Python, and 40 years of
UNIX tradition want.  And I'm not seeing what I want yet.

> Looks like NetBSD doesn't look where we are putting stuff.

Sorry, loss of context again.  Installed by './waf install'?

If so, then that is the CORRECT ANWSWER!  That is EXACTLY whet
distros, and Python want, and exactly why './waf install', used
to, correctly, guide the user to updating his PYTHONPATH.

> FreeBSD works.

Uh, once again, loss of context...  Installed by './waf install'?
Installed to where?  IFF you installed with './waf install', and
your PYTHONPATH is unmodified, then that is just plain wrong.