Old cruft

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Dec 9 02:11:04 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 17:24:46 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Found it.  There was an old ntpc.so
> in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ while new stuff was
> getting installed in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-package s/ntp/

Since you have dist-packages, you must be on a Debian, or Debian
derived sitribution.

So then this becomes relevant:

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9387928/whats-the-difference-between-dist-packages-and-site-packages

    From the Debian Python Wiki:

        dist-packages instead of site-packages. Third party Python
        software installed from Debian packages goes into dist-packages,
        not site-packages. This is to reduce conflict between the system
        Python, and any from-source Python build you might install
        manually.

    This means that if you manually install Python from source, it
    uses the site-packages directory. This allows you to keep the two
    installations separate, especially since Debian and Ubuntu rely on
    the system version of Python for many system utilities.

I assuming you did a test of the debian package install, and that properly
installed into:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages

Then you did a native NTPsec install, and that properly installed here:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages

Are my assumptions correct?  If so, everything worked as it should.

The only tweak maybe worth adding would be for the NTPsec native install
process check the system for other copies installed in other places.