Testing

Jason Azze jason at azze.org
Thu Dec 7 20:40:02 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Matthew Selsky via devel
<devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> We also don't have formal code reviews (before commit) since many devs push directly to "master".  So we can't enforce any policies to code before they get committed to master.
>
> At some point, maybe soonish, can we stop pushing directly to master and instead push to branches (either in the main repo, or a personal fork) and then submit MRs and go through the review/approval workflow that's built into GitLab?

There's a lesser variation of code-review-as-quality-gate that might
satisfy ESR's desire for rapid response and turnaround, but that will
still add a layer of defense against some kinds of errors. I'm not
sure if the Gitlab CI system can do this:

Everyone pushes commits to a single working branch.
These commits are built and tested by the CI automation.
IFF the code builds and tests pass then the CI system auto-merges with
the master branch.
If an auto-merge isn't possible, it gets bounced to a human for intervention.