Testing

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Dec 6 22:03:13 UTC 2017

devel at ntpsec.org said:
> I have a different plan.  I always write doc patches as part of my change
> commits; my discipline is to prevent code and docs from getting out of sync
> in the first place.

I agree that documentation should be kept up to date.

> I'm not opposed to giving the docs an occasional separate once-over, I just
> don't want that to substitute for the above. And there's the
> how-do-you-know-you're done problem. What's the *acceptance criterion* for a
> pass over the documents?

My pass over the documentation suggestion/request at this time was partly a
reaction to it not happening for 1.0

I wasn't thinking of anything heroic, just a simple sanity check.  Sure, if
you spot something interesting, check it out.  If you don't find anything it
looks like a waste of time.  But that adds another tick-mark to the overall
confidence level.  It also indicates that you have taken the time to do it.
Hopefully, that means you have also done all the more important things.

--------

Many years ago, a friend showed me an article in a bicycle magazine about how
to get ready for a race or big ride.  It had all the expected things about
getting your bike ready.  It also included ironing your shirt.  ???  The idea
was that if you had time to iron your shirt you had already done all the
other stuff and you really were ready.