Should the HAVE_KERNEL_PLL conditional be abolished?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Dec 4 02:32:27 UTC 2017

>> First: capture pulse timing info.
>> Second: adjust "drift" on system clock
>> Third: in kernel PLL to adjust drift from PPS pulses

> It *is* clear enough that ntp_adjtime() is a prerequisite for any of the
> above three things to go on.

You need drift correction implemented in the kernel to get decent
timekeeping.  ntp_adjtime is just the API.

I'd be happy to assume we have drift correction.  If not, there is no point
in running  ntpd.  Just run sntp occasionally.   I don't think we should
require ntp_adjtime as the API,

OpenBSD has adjfreq.
       adjfreq(const int64_t *freq, int64_t *oldfreq);

I thought I fixed things to use it, but I can't find any references to it so
I don't know what's going on.