Is restrict broken?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Aug 15 19:27:26 UTC 2017

> devel at ntpsec.org said:
> > It is just possible that I broke restrict this morning at
> > e7a4b0d3cf8932feeb898ed1343f25e8e65688d9 Address GitLab issue #356: reverse
> > function for restrict
>
> I reverted that fix and it's working again.

Well, shit. That's bad.

Two reasons: (1) The new code is there for a reaon, and (2) Your report
makes it seem as though my instance ought to be failing, and it's not.
The second problem actually worries me more than the first.

In config.c there's a stretch of code that looks like this:

			int op = (my_node->mode == T_Restrict)
				? RESTRICT_FLAGS : RESTRICT_UNFLAG;
			hack_restrict(op, &addr,
				      &mask, mflags, flags, 0);

If you replace the second 'op' with RESTRICT_FLAGS, does the behavior
look normal again?

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.