From: Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Apr 26 18:53:07 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 00:40:52 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > Manual config
>
> Did you enable this for all senders or only selected domains?

ALL senders, not an option by sender.

> > This ir a consequence of SPF.  A lot of devel@ email is bunced as
> > undeliverable.  You have seem this weh your email was removed from
> > devel@ due to too many bounces.
>
> I thought the normal approach was to do the From rewriting only on
> domains that have SPF.  (and/or DMARC)

Mailman does not know that I do, or do not have spf on rellim.com.

And would be very weird if mailmman keeps bouncing around between
modes.  That would make phishing easier.

> Doing it when it isn't necessary screws up reply formatting.

It IS necessary.  Sometimes 50% of devel@ email is bouncing.  Many
users keep getting punted from the list due to excessive rejects.

> John Levine, blowing off (lots of) steam:
>   Yahoo breaks every mailing list in the world including the IETF's
>   https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87153.html
>   Date: 7 Apr 2014 20:11:04 -0000

Yup.  Yahoo and gmail, the big ones.  Can't fight tham.

> I don't think mymail bounced because of SPF.  It bounced because
> Megapath has a screwed up spam filter and/or I haven't found a way to
> whitelist by IP Address.

So, is it better or worse now with your megapath?

> I'm currently getting mail direct to a second address that I control
> and have this one set to no-mail so Megapath doesn't get a chance to
> bounce any list traffic.  Nobody has complained about bounces of
> non-list traffic including copies of list traffic.

"nobody"?  How about I add you as a list admin and you can see how
many nobodies we have?  Fully 50% of my posts, with SPF, were getting
bounced some days.  I had DMARC reports to prove it.

So maybe this particular setting is not optimal, but something had to
change, the situation was bad.  I'm willing to try other mailman
setting.