DEBUG in ntpsec

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Apr 24 15:09:34 UTC 2017

> The default was --enable-debug.  A while ago, that was changed to
> --disable-debug.
>
> I think we should reconsider that and/or this whole area.
>
> There are several things all lumped together under --enable-debug and/or
> --enable-debug-gdb
>
> One is a bunch of optional compiler checking options - the stuff Gary is
> working on now.
>
> Another is not stripping symbols and whatever is needed for using gdb.
>
> Another is a bunch of run time sanity checks - things like crash if foo is
> NULL.
>
> Another is a bunch of optional printing.  This is useful for chasing obscure
> bugs.  You can run ntpd from the command line with -n and -d or -D and you
> get lots of printout.  This allows getting more info to chase some problems
> without rebuilding ntpd.
>
> We should probably measure the size difference and/or run time differences.
> The latter will take something like a busy pool server.

I think there are some sound ideas here, but either (a) you'll have
to implement them yourself, or (b) if you want someone else to do it, you'll
need to put a much more detailed specification in an RFE on the tracker.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.