Pivoting

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Apr 21 01:29:31 UTC 2017

Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com>:
> So many balls in the air, I'll wait for a few to get caught first.

I wish I could do that...

I've been quiet for the last couple of days because Cathy and I have
been struggling with the aftermath of that *vicious* flu.  I no longer
have overt symptoms, Cathy has only minor cold-like ones, but we're
both tired a lot of the time and needing more sleep than usual. Minor
exertion can knock us flat.  I'd heard this can sometimes happen after
Type A influenza but never encountered it before. I have good days
when I think it's gone, then next day I'm chronically
exhausted. Depressing not knowing how long it will last; we were
vaguely warned that such effects can linger for weeks.

However, this does not mean Penguicon is a scrub.  Even if I'm not
fully recovered by then, the modafinil I keep around for mitigating
my CP spasticity is the exact drug normally prescribed for post-viral
fatique syndrome. I try to avoid taking the stuff oftener than I need
to because I don't want to develop a lifestyle dependency, but being
fully functional for our FTF qualifies as "need".

What I'm doing when I can summon enough energy to work is ploughing my
way through the huge mass of back mail about pivot and related topics
trying to boil it down into a work plan that I can post here for
discussion.

I'm already pretty sure we're going to want to move the pivot logic to
packet receipt time.  But I'm *not* sure we should do this
immediately; the bug won't become urgent until 2036, which gives us
plenty of time to build a test jig and be sure we get the change
right.  Gary's implementation of a pivot environment variable

Beats me why Mills didn't write it that way to begin with.  I don't catch
him in architectural mistakes often, he was pretty good that way even by
my elevated standards, but this sure seems to be one.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.