Big picture...

John D. Bell jdb at systemsartisans.com
Tue Apr 18 22:22:31 UTC 2017

My $0.02 worth -

Since you've already got a dependency on Python, write a one-liner that
is the equivalent of Unix's "date -u +%s".  Use that.  Otherwise, a tiny
C program would also do the trick (at the cost of increased complexity).

I believe "POSIX support" under windows is only the API corresponding to
sections 3 and 2 of the Unix manual (library functions and (emulations
of) system calls).  The (still new and evolving) "Bash under Ubuntu"
available under Windows 10 may give you more, but may also *not* be
portable to other Windows variants (especially the Server ones which
would be more in use in datacenters).

  - John D. Bell