_DATE__, version string, and distros

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Apr 18 07:39:21 UTC 2017

> You are editing files on a system without git and still want fine grain
> versioning?  How does that work?  How do you know if any files changed?

Mostly, I edit and test on one system, then use scp to push the bits to other
systems.  Occasionally, I do a throwaway edit on one of the other systems for
a quick test.  Sometimes I do serious work if that's where I can reproduce
the bug, then copy the edited files back.

With the current setup, all I get is the last-commit from git.  There is no
way to tell if a system is running the unmodified code or some of my edits.

I can live with a simple build time.  If you want to get fancy, the last edit
would be nice.  Making a script do the work seems like the right start.