_DATE__, version string, and distros

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Apr 18 07:15:41 UTC 2017

Yo Hal!

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 23:51:34 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> >> I want an option that
> >> shows that I've made some edits that aren't committed.
>
> > Just a flag?  Maybe waf runs git status and makes a flag from the
> > result?
>
> The option I want needs to run on systems without git.

You are editing files on a system without git and still want fine grain
versioning?  How does that work?  How do you know if any files changed?

> I want more than just a flag.  I want to know that the result of an
> edit, build, run is different from a following edit, build, run.    A
> time stamp solves that.

No, you want more.  If the timestamp is just the build time, that does
not tell you if any files are changed from default.  You also want to
know if you have made un-committed edits.

>  Anything else if overkill and we should
> probably stop bike-sheding it.

Send patches then!  Or wait for me to get to it.  I think we have enough
to get started and see how it flies.