DEBUG in ntpsec

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Apr 14 10:27:19 UTC 2017

The default was --enable-debug.  A while ago, that was changed to
--disable-debug.

I think we should reconsider that and/or this whole area.

There are several things all lumped together under --enable-debug and/or
--enable-debug-gdb

One is a bunch of optional compiler checking options - the stuff Gary is
working on now.

Another is not stripping symbols and whatever is needed for using gdb.

Another is a bunch of run time sanity checks - things like crash if foo is
NULL.

Another is a bunch of optional printing.  This is useful for chasing obscure
bugs.  You can run ntpd from the command line with -n and -d or -D and you
get lots of printout.  This allows getting more info to chase some problems
without rebuilding ntpd.

We should probably measure the size difference and/or run time differences.
The latter will take something like a busy pool server.