DNS cleanup

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Apr 12 09:34:08 UTC 2017

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > Be aware that at some point I would still be interested in replacing our
> > internal async-lookup code with calls to c_ares or equivalent, on the
> > general principle that it's better when specialty code unrelated to our
> > business logic is somebody else's maintainance problem.
>
> One possible reason to use something else is to get the TTL from the
> response.  There is no way to get that with the normal API.

Pardon my ignorance, but what would we use the TTL for?

> Other than that, I'll be real surprised if you want to drag in another
> dependency.

Don't think of it as a dependency, think of it as making specialized code
that we don't want to maintain into somebody else's problem. :-)

> I think you said that c_ares uses a callback.  To fit that into the
> current/new structure, all we have to do is have the called-back routine save
> or copy the data, then send a signal to the main thread.  The main thread
> will then call in to do the real callbacks in the right context.

Noted.

Please consider contributing to my Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/esr
so I can keep the invisible wheels of the Internet turning. Give generously -
the civilization you save might be your own.