DNS cleanup

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Apr 12 06:49:11 UTC 2017

The pool stuff is working.  There are probably lots of quirks/bugs, but the
general structure seems right.

I did the pool stuff first because I found the code I needed while I was
cleaning out the old stuff.  Normal host mode shouldn't be too hard.

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> Be aware that at some point I would still be interested in replacing our
> internal async-lookup code with calls to c_ares or equivalent, on the
> general principle that it's better when specialty code unrelated to our
> business logic is somebody else's maintainance problem.

One possible reason to use something else is to get the TTL from the
response.  There is no way to get that with the normal API.

Other than that, I'll be real surprised if you want to drag in another
dependency.

I think you said that c_ares uses a callback.  To fit that into the
current/new structure, all we have to do is have the called-back routine save
or copy the data, then send a signal to the main thread.  The main thread
will then call in to do the real callbacks in the right context.