Current HEAD is broken

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Apr 6 07:14:48 UTC 2017

gem at rellim.com said:
>> I'd be happy to have warnings included in "fail".  The idea is to
>> reduce clutter.
> I don't see how that can work, warnings are by defintion not failures.

Do you have a correct word?  I assume the goal is to have build work without
warnings.  Thus if it does generate any warnings, something needs fixing and
things will be cleaner if the attempted commit if rejected and fixed rather
than being accepted and followed by another commit to fix the warning.

My local scripts grep for "warning".

I think there is a issue open on the bug that waf check gets errors but doesn't "fail" in the sense of returning a non-zero return code.

-------

>> --enable-debug is the default.  I think that makes it normal.
> And as recently discussed on IRC, that is wrong and will be fixed soon.

Would somebody please summarize.  Changing the default on building with debugging seems important enough that it should be mentioned (and archived) here rather than only on IRC where lots of people will miss it.