Fw: [Git][NTPsec/ntpsec][master] 2 commits: Some u_long -> unsigned int changes.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Sep 23 19:37:28 UTC 2016

joel at rtems.org said:
> See C99 "5.2.4.2.1 Sizes of integer types" for the normative definition.
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf (pg 33 of PDF)

My reading is that it says ints can be 16 bits.

> If you have expectations of precise size of integers rather than required
> minimum, you should used the stdint.h types like int32_t and uint64_t.

I'll bet there is a lot of code that assumes that ints are at least 32 bits.

How many platforms out there are small enough to have 16 bit ints but big
enough to be running ntpd?  (or attempting to run it)

Much of the time, int32_t isn't what I want.  I just want something bigger
than 16, whatever is most convenient for the platform it will run on.  If it
matters for something like cache usage, I'm probably willing to think about
it.