Web stuff - how to update?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Oct 29 10:56:40 UTC 2016

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> >> Thanks.  Is there any way to preview my changes?
> > Yes.  Provided you configured with --enable-docs, you can ./waf and then
> > point a browser at docs/index.html.
>
> Context confusion.  I meant my changes to the main web site at
> https://www.ntpsec.org/ rather than the documentation shipped with the source
> code.

Somebody had removed my machinery for that.  I've restored it. Directions in the
README.

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> >> The existing documentation page has a link to the latest
> >> web pages.  It might  be handy to have links to man pages.
>
> > Effectively the entire contents of the web pages is included in the website.
> > That's why the includes directory looks the way it does; those files are
> > the manpage bodies. ...
>
> If you start at the top level page, https://docs.ntpsec.org/latest/,
> there isn't any obvious quick way to get to any of the man pages.
>
> Any problem with adding a link to the man pages section of the site map page
> to the Table of Contents section of the top level page?

None at all.

> Each section of the site-map ends with a site-map link.  That looks ugly to
> me.  Are those sections used anyplace else where it might make sense?

Yes, the includes that compose those sections are used
elsewhere. The Handbook Pages sitemap section appears, for example, on the
Access Controls page.

I'm aware that the result is rather a mess and I'm especially unhappy about
the ugly page footers, but I felt an important constraint on the design was
to make it look and feel as much like the Mills pages as asciidoc can achieve.

> Some of the web versions of the man pages (but only some) include
> includes/manual.txt
> I think a separate site-map link (rather than hiding it as a man page) would
> be more appropriate.

Sorry, I can't picture the change you're suggesting from that description.

> Looks like the man pages should have a see-also section for the other ntp man
> pages.

The man-page versions have that. See, for example, ntpd/ntpd-man.txt.