ntpq: cruft/doc

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Oct 17 05:40:04 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
>> CSV is readable by eye without a lot of effort.  JSON is close to
encrypted.

> Say *what*?  Uh, I can only conjecture that you don't have a lot of actual
> experience with JSON.

I admit that "encrypted" is an exaggeration, but the signal-noise is pretty
low.  Yes, if I'm hunting for a specific chunk of data I can find it, but
it's hard to get the big picture and know which chunk(s) of data I need to
pay attention to.

I admit that I haven't worked much with JSON.  Sure, it's probably the right
thing for complicated data structures.  But I'm mostly interested in simple
tabular data where CSV works well.

If you want to convince me that JSON is great, rewrite the gpsd refclock to
be a shining example.