Forward-planning towards release 1.0

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Oct 5 19:41:27 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 11:55:36 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> >> I'd vote for getting rid of KERNEL_PLL.
> > Me too, but the alternative has to not suck.  The last test remove
> > was a terrible failure.
>
> What "test remove" was that?

Eric added --disable-kernel-pll last week.

    commit c6b45a2d332ab98f278691fbb462e6b65a528649
    Author: Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com>
    Date:   Wed Sep 28 14:20:51 2016 -0400

	Implement --disable-kernel-pll configuration option.

I posted the results to this email list.  I have attached one of the
graphs from that thread that shows the bad results.  The option was
applied at 28-18:45.  After that time the time offset and jitter
got way worse.  The time to recover from LF changes also got much
worse.

Check out the list archives for the entire discussion.