Python ntpq

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Nov 27 01:42:52 UTC 2016

> OTOH, I think "sensible upper limit" is reasonable to try.  What would you
> propose?  Is there any way to gather statistics on the length distribution
> of hostmes, so we can set a threshold that handles 95% of cases?

We could write a script that does DNS lookups on the pool servers, reverses
those addresses, and then does whatever statistics you want.  You will get
different statistics if you do/don't eliminate duplicates.

A quick poking around finds things like
  c-24-15-80-185.hsd1.il.comcast.net
  4e.f4.36a9.ip4.static.sl-reverse.com

I don't have any IPv6 examples handy.

How about you set things up for 25 or 30 and we can see how that feels while
I collect data?

Another approach would be to make it big enough for the worst case IPv6
numerical printout.