Progress, and a puzzle.

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 19:57:23 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:54 AM Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > One wonders, for example, why exactly one response (readstats) has a
> binary
> > payload
>
> My guess is history.  It's probably left over from before the mode6/mode7
> stuff got sorted out and Mills decided that mode6 should be all text.
>
> You could fix that.  I'd probably wait until there is a good reason to add
> another command.

At least for the time being, we want the Python implementation of ntpq to
interop with NTP Classic.  And even if we manage to land a fixing patch on
NTP Classic, we want to be able to interop with older versions of NTP
Classic, at least until all major distros upgrade.

We're going to have to live with mode6 as it exists right now, for a while
yet.

> One of the complicated responses sends the slots within a line in random
> order and adds a garbage field name and value.  The comment said it was to
> keep the client side from making assumptions that would turn into
> constraints
> on the server side.

I've actually done that myself in code I've written in the past, pretty
much for the same reason.