Security and standalone Stratum 1.

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat May 28 18:53:44 UTC 2016

Clark B. Wierda <cbwierda at gmail.com>:
> A few thoughts:
>
> If you need one time source, you can easily argue for two.  If the
> suggested minimum is three for stability, you can argue for N+1.

Of course we need one time source, and by hypothesis we have one - in
the tesr farm case, the HAT on a pi.  I'm not seeing how this implies
a need for a second.

> If I have a tower that can be damaged, a secondary site is easier to
> handle.  You do not get true diversity and you are subject to interference,
> but you do get redundancy and resilience.

Right.  But what I want to do is tackle head on the case where you're off-net
and need to be an *autonomous* time authority.

> You could always get a tin-god inspector who can make his beliefs stick,
> but good arguments based on policy usually win.

Don't get hung up on that detail.  Go with the thought experiment.