Security and standalone Stratum 1.

Clark B. Wierda cbwierda at gmail.com
Sat May 28 18:04:54 UTC 2016

A few thoughts:

If you need one time source, you can easily argue for two.  If the
suggested minimum is three for stability, you can argue for N+1.

If I have a tower that can be damaged, a secondary site is easier to
handle.  You do not get true diversity and you are subject to interference,
but you do get redundancy and resilience.

You could always get a tin-god inspector who can make his beliefs stick,
but good arguments based on policy usually win.

If the site is isolated, the key feature is that all the local system have
the same time.

If there is a secure connection to another site, they can also exchange
time.

Finally, I agree with the last statment.  I have used a Garmin handheld GPS
as a time source over USB.

Clark Wierda (retired MSgt)