Figures of merit for time servers

Clark B. Wierda cbwierda at gmail.com
Tue May 24 01:47:39 UTC 2016

Looks like a good time for this question:

What are the figures of merit that we should be tracking when monitoring
the quality of servers using NTP for exchange?

I understand that these values will factor differently with different user
groups, but the characteristics we can measure should be fairly consistent.

I also understand there are "reported" (offset, error/dispersion, jitter,
wander) and "derived" (90% variability in observed value of foo, external
view of relative time) values.

Based on Gary's message (I hope it was Gary), we should use the same terms
to reference the same "thing".  We should be precise in that usage and
avoid the softer terms.

I want to thank Hal for the Monitoring NTP servers message.  That is a
great starting point.  I plan to create a time server that is using GPIO
PPS as the baseline and watching the rest of the space.  I can use the
created logs.

Once I have some data, I can figure out a good way to display it and
iterate from there.

Regards,
Clark B. Wierda