Monitoring NTP servers

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon May 23 21:44:47 UTC 2016

cbwierda at gmail.com said:
> One thing I'm trying to develop is a method to track multiple system
> simultaneously.  I'm thinking of a monitor system with its own time base
> using NTP to query state from each of the test systems.

> I may write the first version in Python wrapping ntpdig.

You obviously need a place to stand.  If you are running ntpd on that system,
you can use it to watch various other systems.

Start by turning on logging.  If you think in terms of request-response
pairs, rawstats will get a line for each response.

Then add each system you want to monitor to your ntp.conf with a server line
that includes noselect.  That will go through all the request-response dance,
log the result, then ignore it.

The results will also show up in ntpq -p