How big is time_t? Alignment?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat May 14 03:55:32 UTC 2016

> And we can push changes to ntpsec and gpsd to use exact width integer types.

I don't think so.  Suppose we change time_t to int64_t.  That will work on
almost all systems, but breaks gpsd<=>ntpd classic on systems that are still
using 32 bit time_t.

> It may still make sense to do some int width and endian sanity testing.

I think we don't care about the endianness as long as both compilers do the
same thing.  It's software on both sides.  We don't have to coordinate with
hardware or send packets to the net.

---------

The reason this thread got started is because I was trying to add a layer of
sanity checking.

I haven't figured out anything I can add that will work unless we are willing
to give up support for systems using 32 bit time_t.