Testing ntpd and/or timing from gpsd

Frank Nicholas frank at nicholasfamilycentral.com
Thu May 12 18:26:03 UTC 2016

> On May 12, 2016, at 2:21 PM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
>
> No good on the RasPi2:
>
> root at pi2:~# ethtool -c eth0
> Coalesce parameters for eth0:
> Cannot get device coalesce settings: Operation not supported
> root at pi2:~#
>
> The problem on the RasPi2 is the ethernet is a USB2 device.

Yep - to be expected on the Pi’s. The Ethernet on the Pi’s is pretty basic.  Some USB -> Ethernet adaptors do support fancy features (like Hal was talking about).

`ethtool` can be used to see what an Ethernet adapter supports.

I think Hal was wanting to test the difference on a fancy Gb adapter that had those features, to see if disabling them improved NTP performance.