ntpd 1PPS binding considered awful

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue May 10 05:30:07 UTC 2016

esr at thyrsus.com said:
>> I think that won't turn on the kernel PLL logic.
> That...sounds like a very good point.  What *does* turn on the kernel PLL
> logic?  Including refclock 22 in the build and config?

I know it can be set by NMEA and ATOM.

Poking around, grep for kernel in docs/driver*txt shows it's used in:
  driver  4  Spectracom
  driver  8  Parse
  driver 20  NMEA
  driver 22  ATOM/PPS
  driver 30  Motorola Oncore

There is a bug in docs/driver31.txt, Rockwell Jupiter - flag2 vs flag3
We'll have to check the code to see what is going on.

>From refclock_params in ntpd/ntp_refclock.c
         * Solaris serial ports provide PPS pulse capture only on the
         * assert edge. FreeBSD serial ports provide capture on the
         * clear edge, while FreeBSD parallel ports provide capture
         * on the assert edge. Your mileage may vary.
We should check that.