ntpd 1PPS binding considered awful

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon May 9 17:57:22 UTC 2016

Yo Eric!

On Mon, 9 May 2016 09:04:22 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> The Pi might be it.  I have it set up to monitor four pool servers
> with noselect.  I get output like this:

Whoops, don't do that.  The full ntpd selection algorithm does not work
without at least 3 seeming good chimers.

And the pool has a ton of false tickers.  Best to at least use aUS pool, and
much better to pick some good public chimers near you.

Using a chimer 81 milliSec from you will not yield good results.

> Bearing in mind that I'm not sure what the units are (milliseconds?),

Yes, so you see why I prefer 'chonryc sources' which shows the units.  And
selects the proper units per peer.

> it looks like SHM(1) is tracking consensus time from the servers
> pretty well (this is with a zero fudge).

Gack, your best server is 40 milliSec away, not a good test.

> What do these numbers say to you?

They look good to me, at least as good as your poor peers.

> > I hope you get TESTFRAME working first.  That would have caught the
> > recent leapfile mixup.
>
> I'd like to do TESTFRAME first, yes.  That was always the plan. It has
> proven so difficult that I'm now casting about for ways to simplify
> the problem.

What you don't see this way is the edge cases, where the bugs are.