Kernel PPS processing

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Jun 29 19:35:01 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 11:48:08 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure why you would expect performance to be identical.

Because thhey use the same kernel generated time stamp and PLL algorithm.

> Dave
> Mills and crew went to a lot of effort to get code into various
> kernels, including writing a RFC.  I'd be very surprised if it wasn't
> a significant improvement.

I've seen a lot projects do work gone with no gain.  You do not know
until you try.  Why would you expect it to be better?  syscal latency should
not be an issue sinec the time stamping and adjtime() is in the kernel
both ways.