The new refclock directive is implemented and documented

Clark B. Wierda cbwierda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 18:49:20 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 2:49 AM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:

> Since you opened the door...
>
> > |shm        | T     | Shared Memory Driver
> > |gpsd       | T     | GPSD NG client protocol
>
> I think that leads to confusion since they both, at least for now,
> come from gpsd.  And until the gpsd_json driver has sane, documented,
> defaults, I fear that people will try it first with gpsd.
>
> Maybe: gpsd_shm, and gpsd_json.  Or: shm and json.
>
> There could be other gpsd variants in the future.
>
> RGDS
> GARY

I agree with the later comments on shm.  This isn't necessarily specific to
GPSD, so just shm is correct.

IIRC, GPSD NG uses JSON over a socket.  Is this restricted to GPSD, or is
the JSON general enough to be used by any similar source?

If the protocol is specific enough that we can assume GPSD, I think gpsd is
correct.  I will agree with Gary about the possibility for confusion.
Documentation will help, but the possibility will remain.

If this is general enough, it could lead to confusion when another source
uses this refclock, but I am unsure of the correct name.  Using socket
comes to mind, but that has its own problems.

Clark Wierda