The new refclock directive is implemented and documented

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Jun 27 17:39:23 UTC 2016

Eric S. Raymond writes:
> Which reminds me: an addition I'm considering is adding "offset" as a
> synonym for time1 or time2, whichever one usually sets an offset for
> time reported from the unit.

The documentation is quite unclear on this and I'm not sure I'd trust
each driver to do exactly the same.

> Only., I'm not clear which it should be;
> either it varies by driver or I'm not understanding the documentation
> properly. Can you shed any light on this?

At least for the DCF77 mode 133 driver, time1 is the offset of the
serial data from the beginning of the true second.  Time2 seems to be
the offset of the PPS pulse in relation to the true second.  It's a bit
unclear what happens if these two disagree, but I think that it would be
problematic around the transistion to PPS locked/unlocked.  Note that the
interpretation of time2 changes with the flags for some drivers if it is
used at all.

It seems the source of this evil is that the parser and data structures
are fixed and drivers cannot define their own variables, so naturally
they picked different meanings for the bits that were already there.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html