The new refclock directive is implemented and documented

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Jun 27 08:33:23 UTC 2016

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > and the
> >   noun/verb "fudge" is reserved for the two time offset options.
>
> Why?  What's the difference between a flag that gets set to 0 or 1 and a time
> that gets set to a number?

When I hear the term "fudge factor" I think of a number used to adjust or
smear data - an analog kind of thing, rather than a bit used to gate logic
or select a mode.  Maybe it's just me, but the documentation seems clearer
when that distinction is maintained.

Which reminds me: an addition I'm considering is adding "offset" as a
synonym for time1 or time2, whichever one usually sets an offset for
time reported from the unit. Only., I'm not clear which it should be;
either it varies by driver or I'm not understanding the documentation
properly. Can you shed any light on this?

> > There will be a *limited* open period for bikeshedding about the driver
> > names.
>
> hp58503a should probably be hpgps.  It works for several devices.

OK.  Can you enumerate some other devices so I can list them in the
header comment and on the driver page?

> You need a plan for testing this stuff.  I won't be helping since I think
> it's important to be able to run ntp classic.

The really good plan would be having live refclocks to test with.  That
seems out of reach at the moment.