Test farm news

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Jun 17 11:57:33 UTC 2016

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > You need to do more than shutdown ntpd to get back to pre-ntp initial
> > conditions.  For a real good test you need to set the system clock off by
> > maybe a minute, or an hour ,or maybe back to 1970.  Remove the drift file.
> > Remove the battery from you GPS.  And probably restart Linux to clera out
> > any save drift.
>
> I think there are 3 major cases for restarting ntpd.
>   Power cycle.
>   Reboot
>   Restart ntpd.

Agreed.  In actual operation it seems to me reboot is likelier to be
more common than either restart without reboot or a power outage.

Both of you: please start running tests yourself, that's why I'm
making accounts with test farm access available.  If I have to keep
track of and run tests for every corner case we need to look into myself I'll
go crazy, not to mention not getting any actual code done.

Everybody: mail me a preferred username and ssh public key for access.
I'll spend part of today adding a HOWTO on test farm procedures and
tools to the project website.