Test farm news

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jun 17 11:15:23 UTC 2016

gem at rellim.com said:
> You need to do more than shutdown ntpd to get back to pre-ntp initial
> conditions.  For a real good test you need to set the system clock off by
> maybe a minute, or an hour ,or maybe back to 1970.  Remove the drift file.
> Remove the battery from you GPS.  And probably restart Linux to clera out
> any save drift.

I think there are 3 major cases for restarting ntpd.
  Power cycle.
  Reboot
  Restart ntpd.

The power off case has a sub-case where power if off long enough so that
things cool down so the drift file is no longer as accurate as it is if the
temperature doesn't change.

I think there are 3 startup time offset cases:
  Huge: bail if the -g switch isn't set.  With -g, step the clock.
  Big: step the clock
  Close: slew the clock.